Top up Health Insurance Policy
Policy that covers the medical expenses beyond the threshold level/deductible you have chosen. This is a good choice if you want to add additional cover up to Rs. 15 lakhs to you existing Insurance Policy with very less premium or If you are yet to opt for medical insurance, you can buy top-up policy to take medical insurance cover beyond a threshold limit that you can afford.
- The insured needs to be between 6 - 60 years of age
- Age is calculated as on the date the policy is issued ( It will be age completed on last birthday)
- If you are yet to opt for medical insurance, you can buy top-up policy to take medical insurance cover beyond a threshold limit that you can afford.
- Any employee who wants medical insurance of more than what is provided by his employer’s group cover can go for top-up cover. If the cost of hospitalisation exceeds the limit provided by the employer, the insurance company will pay the extra amount.
- Top Up policy will help individuals top up their existing cover and Super Top Up policy will help when the total hospitalisation expenses during the policy period exceed the threshold level chosen.
- You can buy Top up cover even if you have cover from some other insurance company. Since there is no contribution clause, if a policyholder has health policies from two insurers, each insurer will pay its part of the claim.
- You Can Buy Health Insurance & get tax benefit on the premium paid under section 80D of the Income Tax Act
- You can save up to 25 percent by comparing plans offered by different companies
Ever wondered if you can cross the threshold limit of your plan at a nominal price?
Fret no more Super Top up & Top up plans fulfill this purpose
See two new terms? Don't worry we will explain it to you.
Top up Plans
Top up health insurance plans are a unique type of health cover policies that offer you (insured) an additional coverage, which is beyond the "threshold limit" (or) the maximum limit of the existing health insurance policies. Top up plans help you when the limit of your policy is exhausted and you still have to cover additional expenses.
Take an example: You have a regular heath cover of 5 lakhs and a top up cover of 10 lakhs with a threshold limit of 5 lacs.
For Top up plans to work, your bill must be more than the threshold limit but less than the amount covered, as seen in the examples above.
What if I have two claims of 4 lakhs each?
Well, a top up plan won't help in this case since no one claim is above the threshold limit. This problem can be solved by a Super top up plan which takes into consideration the full amount of the bills in a year. In this case, it is 8 lakhs, which is above the threshold limit of 5 lakhs.
Super Top up plans cover 'multiple' hospitalizations and they look at the aggregate claim. This means they put together several cases of hospitalization to calculate the deductible limit (threshold limit) whereas Top up plans work on 'per hospitalization' basis. A Top up plan will pay you, if your claim amount for a single hospitalization is above the threshold limit.